Recipe by xjjb4x4
From Peggy Trowbridge Filippone: "This is a clone recipe of the very popular sweet and sour cabbage slaw served at the popular North Woods Inn California restaurant chain. Plan ahead. This salad needs a long marination time. It's good after 48 hours, but even better after 4 or 5 days. This is the perfect make-ahead salad."
Top Review by Elmotoo
This was good - even THE PICKY ONE liked it! Next time I will decrease the oil & increase the sugar & vinegar for a less oily, more sweet/sour flavor. This will definitely be served up this summer as I will be able to make a huge batch easily! Made for Topic of the Month Salads & Berries. :)
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred half of the cabbage finely and the other half coarsely. Place in a large bowl.
- Whisk together vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, and onion powder.
- Toss the dressing with the cabbage.
- Scrape the salad with the dressing into a zip-top bag or covered container and refrigerate at least 48 hours or until cabbage turns deep red, softens a bit, and flavors meld. It's even better after 4 or 5 days.
- This red cabbage salad and a green salad with a creamy blue cheese buttermilk dressing are served together as a duo along with garlic cheese bread.