Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My sister served this side dish at a family function and it has been a favorite at gatherings ever since. It's a red cabbage slaw-type salad with the tang of blue cheese and crunch of almonds combined with a red wine vinaigrette, perfect for parties or just dinner at home.
- 1 head chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- Combine first three ingredients (salad) in a large bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine first three ingredients of the dressing and let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Then add oil and vinegar and pour dressing over salad.
Love this salad! It is a great alternative to the usual green salad. DH and I ate almost the whole thing! I used a 10 oz package of shredded red cabbage. I only had 2/3 C of sliced almonds but it was plenty. I used shredded sharp cheddar since we don't like blue cheese and I could have added more of the cheddar. The only negative was the bottom of the salad was a bit soupy with all the extra dressing. I did use Splenda and canola oil. This was made for PAC April 2009.