Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicately seasoned sweet and sour red cabbage dish that will compliment a German meal with Roladen and potato dumplings
- 1 shredded red cabbage
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 -3 onions, chopped
- olive oil (for shine)
- 4 -5 apples, cut up in 1/2-1" pieces
- vinegar or lemon juice
- 6 bay leaves, broken in half for more flavour
- Fry onion and bacon in large pot until bacon is a bit crispy.
- Add red cabbage, apples, and bay leaves.
- Add aprx 3 tbsp sugar.
- Simmer for aprx.
- 2-3 hours on low heat stirring often.
- When the cabbage is fully cooked in about 3 hours, add the vinegar or lemon juice when pot is off the burner.
- This dish will double in flavour if served the next day.
This was great! I cooked the bacon crisp, then browned the onion, layered it all in the crockpot. My german husband said it was the best red cabbage he has ever had! I know it will taste even better today after it blends. Thanks for sharing.
I lost my previous recipe for red cabbage so I tried this one, and this is the one I will always use from now on, especially with saurbrauten and potato pancakes. Delicious!
Patti? This was delicious. I made it to your exact directions. Very easy and smelled heavenly when cooking. But honestly, I normally like caraway seeds in my cabbage and the bay leaves sounded a little, "iffy", but I bit the bullet and made it with the bay leaves. I was SO glad I did. They added a very nice flavour. I made this yesterday, but like you said, "It's better the next day", so I waited until tonight to serve it. I put it in a baking dish, browned some bratwurst and put them on top. Then I covered it with foil and baked it in the oven, until the brats were cooked through. This was awesome! I also made KeyWee's "Potato Dumplings" recipe#24673 and some nice crusty bread to go with it. Made a very good German meal. Thanks Patti, for a delicious dish. One I'll definatly make again. LeeAnn