Recipe by PATTI H
A delicately seasoned sweet and sour red cabbage dish that will compliment a German meal with Roladen and potato dumplings
Top Review by aaquwaa
This was great! I cooked the bacon crisp, then browned the onion, layered it all in the crockpot. My german husband said it was the best red cabbage he has ever had! I know it will taste even better today after it blends. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 shredded red cabbage
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 -3 onions, chopped
- olive oil (for shine)
- 4 -5 apples, cut up in 1/2-1" pieces
- vinegar or lemon juice
- 6 bay leaves, broken in half for more flavour
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry onion and bacon in large pot until bacon is a bit crispy.
- Add red cabbage, apples, and bay leaves.
- Add aprx 3 tbsp sugar.
- Simmer for aprx.
- 2-3 hours on low heat stirring often.
- When the cabbage is fully cooked in about 3 hours, add the vinegar or lemon juice when pot is off the burner.
- This dish will double in flavour if served the next day.