Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are tasty and very easy to make - They take a bit of time with the chill time but I think they are worth it Lovely to serve for lunch Brunch or on a buffet
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons thyme (separated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, cut up
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese or 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, cubed 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 cups red onions, sliced 1/4" thickness
- In a food processor combine the flour, Salt, pepper& 1 tbsp thyme.Add Butter and process until it looks like course meal.
- Slowly pour in the ice water with the motor running until the mixture holds together when squeezed.The amount of water will vary depending on your flour so go slow and test.
- Wrap the dough in plastic, press into a disc, and chill in the fridge until firm apprx 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile Saute the onions in the oil until soft. Add cabbage, reduce heat, pour in 1/2 cup water, 2 tbspThyme, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper to taste
- Cover and cook 10 minutes, uncover turn the heat up and continue to cook until all the water has evaporated
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cut the dough in into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 5" circle.
- Place in 4" flan rings or sub with large muffin tins. Add filling, scatter cheese on top and fold over the pastry edges making a nice scalloped lip Chill until firm (apprx 1/2 hour) Bake 15-20 min or until the pastry is golden and the filling is hot Serve Hot.