Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious, colourful vegetable dish. Easy to prepare.
Make and share this Red Cabbage, German recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar or 2 -4 tablespoons apple jelly
- 1 -2 whole clove
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon flour or 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Melt butter, add apple and onion, cook until soft.
- Add cabbage, stir to blend.
- Add vinegar, sugar, cloves and wine.
- Cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce with flour, first adding a little water with the flour.
- Simmer until sauce is smooth.
Excellent side dish! It's a great way to use red cabbage and serve next to a main protein. I've served it with pork and venison. Thanks for posting!
I served this side dish with pork. This is a fast side dish to make while your main course is cooking. My husband ate it cold the next day with his sandwich. Made for More Than Sauerkraut And Dumplings 2012
This was easy and Delicious! Can't wait to make it again. My husband said..."Don't lose this recipe honey!"