Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Try this one for Thanksgiving.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, rounded
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries, picked over and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure honey, rounded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large, heavy-bottomed nonreactive skillet over medium heat, heat the corn oil and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the cabbage and toss with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cranberries, pepper, zest and juice of lemon, vinegar, honey, and salt.
- Toss again to combine.
- Cook until the cabbage wilts and the cranberries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Taste for salt and add as desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.