Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a delicious and very colorful alternative to the usual cole slaw. It is always a favorite when I bring it to pot luck dinners.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄3 cup light tasting olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 medium red cabbage, cored,very thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli, florets trimmed and separated into tiny pieces,stems peeled and shredded,about 6 cups total
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 2 inch long fine julienne,about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 large green onions, thinly sliced,about 1 1/2 cups
- To make vinaigrette: Put basil leaves, olive oil, honey, water, vinegars, salt& pepper in a blender or food processor and mix until the basil is minced.
- Transfer to a 4 quart bowl.
- Put the cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper and onion in the bowl with the dressing.
- Toss until well mixed.
- Chill at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours before serving.
- To serve, toss well, drain off any excess liquid and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve chilled in a large bowl.