Recipe by ClareVH
Here is a good summer side dish. I enjoy it especially with grilled meats. Since it is pickled, it keeps well, unlike slaws with creamy dressings. Sometimes I use bags of pre-shredded red cabbage for this. "Cooking time" is overnight refrigeration.
Top Review by hotstuffrider
I have made this recipe several times and I love it!! It is easy and gets better the longer it sits, so making it in advance for BBQ's or potlucks makes it a great side dish to take. I love making it to go with pulled pork.
- 1 lb red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped or slivered
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cabbage in a large heat-resistent bowl with onion and salt.
- Mix well.
- In a small saucepan, bring oil, sugar and vinegar to a boil.
- Pour over cabbage.
- Do not Stir.
- Weight cabbage down with a plate while cooling.
- When cooled, cover tightly (I use a French canning jar) and refrigerate-at least overnight.
- This will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.