Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very colorful cabbage salad with a nice and tangy light dressing. Recipe is easy to half. From Meal Lean i Yumm!
- 8 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 medium cabbage)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (I always add 1 tbsp)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (if you don't have balsamic, red or white wine vinegar will do)
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute or 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- In a microwavable bowl combine oil, vinegar, and sugar; Microwave uncovered for about 45 seconds to dissolve sugar - NOTE if you are using splenda omit this step.
- Pour hot dressing over vegetables; mix well.
- Refrigerate to blend flavours.
- Leftovers will keep a couple days in the fridge.
We enjoyed this lovely red cabbage slaw with the mild, light dressing. I was surprised at how small an amount of dressing worked to flavor the slaw, and was pleased that it turned out to be just perfect. The simplicity of this slaw makes it a good side dish with almost everything, but I found that I really missed some undefineable "something" to make this slaw stand out...erhaps some chopped mint or a handful of chopped apples or dried cranberries. We ate every bite and thank you for a healthy side dish.
This was so easy and I had most of the ingredients on hand. I had a white onion not green onions, so I thinly sliced a small amount. I didn't have splenda but substituted a packet of truvia. I love the dressing. I followed another reviewer's advice and added some dried cranberries. I feel so good about eating something that tastes soooo delicious!
I thought this was simple and delicious. My husband didn't like it as much as I did, he said it was too bitter, but I thought the sugar and balsamic gave it a nice balanced sweetness. I served it with pizza and it hit the spot.