Recipe by Sweet PQ?
This recipe differs slightly from the one already posted here, so I thought I would add it. I got this recipe 20 years ago, from a girl I used to work with. This makes a really "yummy" borscht (and I am usually so-so on the subject!)
Top Review by Debbwl
A very nice Borscht. Made using Pam cooking spray in place of the butter. The red wine vinegar I used was a cabernet sauvignon wine vinegar. While a very nice soup felt it was lacking something. Ended up adding another teaspoon of dill and that helped. Will be making this again. Thanks for the post.
- 1 (14 ounce) can beets, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- salt & pepper
- sour cream (for garnish-optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the beets, saving the liquid. Cut the beets into strips.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter & cook the onion until softened.
- Add the garlic and cabbage; cooking & stiring until the cabbage is wilted.
- Add the beets and the reserved liquid, tomatoes, water, vinegar, stock, sugar & dillweed.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is very soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve & garnish with sour cream, if desired.