1/1 Photo of Red Cabbage Borscht
Sweet PQ?'s Note:
This recipe differs slightly from the one already posted here, so I thought I would add it. I got this recipe 20 years ago, from a girl I used to work with. This makes a really "yummy" borscht (and I am usually so-so on the subject!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) can beets, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- salt & pepper
- sour cream (for garnish-optional)
- 1Drain the beets, saving the liquid. Cut the beets into strips.
- 2In a large saucepan, melt the butter & cook the onion until softened.
- 3Add the garlic and cabbage; cooking & stiring until the cabbage is wilted.
- 4Add the beets and the reserved liquid, tomatoes, water, vinegar, stock, sugar & dillweed.
- 5Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is very soft.
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve & garnish with sour cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Cabbage Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.0
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 367.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 4.5 g