Top Review by froti
I really liked this soup - red cabbage is not my favorite but I had received some in my CSA box. I could only give it 4 stars because I think I'm the only one at my house that did like it. I served it with country wheat bread, cheddar and salami slices, salad of shredded red leaf and cucumbers - YUM!! Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped red cabbage
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sour cream
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add apples and sauté until tender, for about 4 minutes.
- Add cabbage and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add caraway seeds and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth, wine vinegar and honey.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a dollop of sour cream on top of bowls.
- Sprinkle with parsley.