Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple and cheap! Gourmet Jan 1990.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 thin lemon slices
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion top
- In a saucepan cook the cabbage in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until it is tender, stir in the broth and 1/2 cup water, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the orzo, simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the orzo is tender, and add the soy sauce and pepper to taste.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top each serving with half the lemon slices and half the scallion greens.