Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Very tasty side dish, just tried it, good hot or cold.
- 1 small red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 medium apples, cored and grated
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup cooked crumbled bacon (optional)
- Combine cabbage, apples, red wine vinegar, sugar, cloves and pepper flakes if using, in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High 6 hours.
- stirring after 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with bacon, if desired.
Oh so wonderful! This was SO good! I have never had anything like this in my life and I have been missing out! No one else in the family really cared for it, but I don't care. That just means more for me. They are all picky-picky anyways. I will make this again for sure! I upped the sugar a touch in the hopes of luring in the younger members of my family but they still wouldn't go for it. Next time I will just put the posted amount of sugar in. Thank you SO much for sharing.
I also love this recipe. The first time I prepared it, I used Splenda instead of sugar and it worked great. I, too, am a diabetic.
I made this for dinner tonight and it is wonderful. I sweetened it with Splenda cup per cup since I am a diabetic. I think I will use one-half cup Splenda next time as it is a little sweet to my taste. A REAL KEEPER.