Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just one way my family enjoys cabbage. Red cabbage is the most impressive looking, but regular cabbage will do.
- 1 onion
- 1 small red cabbage
- 5 apples
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- Slice onion, cook on HIGH 90 seconds in microwave. OR saute in a little oil.
- Shred cabbage, chop apples and put in medium saucepan with sugar, vinegar and spices. Fry for 5 minutes over medium heat to meld flavors.
- Add water and simmer for 15 minutes, or until cabbage is soft.
- Mix in the onions and sprinkle with rasins.
- Serve warm, or chill for a few hours before serving.
This is a tasty salad--sweet and sour with emphasis on the sweet. After sauteing or microwaving the onions (I sauteed), it does't mention where to combine the onions with the rest of the salad so I did it right at the end. I personally would have preferred the salad not quite so soft; so next time I'll probably add less water and cook it for a bit less time to allow for a little more "crunch." But all-in-all a tasty and easy-to-make side dish.