Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm not a cabbage eater, but I like it this way. I use the honey and vinegar mix.
- 1 head red cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 thinly sliced apples
- 1⁄8 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar or 1⁄2 cup red wine (OR a mixture of 2 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp vinegar)
- Pull off and discard the outer leaves from the cabbage.
- Cut the head into sections and remove the hard core.
- Shred the cabbage and soak briefly in cold water.
- Cook the bacon over low heat until some of the fat is rendered out.
- Add the onion and saute until onion is soft, set aside.
- Lift the cabbage from the water, leaving it moist.
- Place it in a dutch oven and cover, let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then add the apples, caraway seeds, salt and vinegar (OR red wine OR mix of honey and vinega).
- Add the onion and bacon to the cabbage mix.
- Cover and simmer slowly for an hour until cabbage is nice and soft.
- Add boiling water during cooking if necessary.
- If liquid is left when the cabbage is done, uncover th epot and cook gently until it is absorbed.
Very tasty - I also used the mix of honey and vinegar. I omited the apples. Love caraway seeds with cabbage. Thanks for a great recipe!