This is one of our favourite recipes that we save for special occasions. Your guests will be thinking they are fine dining in your home. The sauce is very rich, I usually serve this with steamed green beans on the side.
- Roast the red peppers until blackened. Place the peppers in a bowl & cover with wrap to generate steam for approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the blackened skin and seeds. Cut each red pepper into thirds.
- Cut the chicken in half horizontally almost but not all the way through. Open the chicken like a book and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a slice of roasted red pepper onto one side of the opened chicken breast. Top each with 2 basil leaves. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold the other side of the chicken over creating a bundle. Secure the chicken bundle with three pieces of string.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat half of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cover. Cook for approximately 7 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside.
- Remove to plate and remove strings.
- Add the remaining oil to pan, and cook the garlic and shallots until softened.
- Stir in wine and boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Return chicken to the pan, turn the chicken to coat while reheating.
- Remove the chicken to individual plates. Spoon the white cream sauce over the chicken and garnish with fresh juliened basil.