Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I tried the Vegetable Wellington on the cover of Vegetarian Times, but wasn't crazy about it so I kept messing around with similar ingredients. I finally came up with this and holy cow, is it delicious! This could be either a main dish or appetizer, depending on the size of the mushrooms. Please forgive me for not having exact amounts, I really just threw stuff in 'to taste.' I'm an inexperienced cook but pulled this off nicely. Any helpful comments are welcome!
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese with some of the prepared pesto. (However much tastes good to you!).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Add red onions and red peppers, cook until tender.
- Remove from heat. Toss in torn-up spinach leaves, let them wilt.
- While onions and peppers are cooking, brush mushrooms with olive oil.
- Add a nice sized dollop of cream cheese mixture, and then a spoonful of veggie mixture to each mushroom.
- Roast mushrooms 10 minutes or so until they look and smell impressive! :).
- Add a square of smoked gouda on top, cook a few more minutes until melted.
Might try again with a diffeent cheese, the smoked flavor overpowered the recipe
We ate it, nothing spectacular. I added Mrs Dash to add more flavor
Very tasty and easy to boot! I used Chive & Onion cream cheese since we had it on hand and added some extra garlic...otherwise followed directions. Wasn't sure what you meant by "roast the mushrooms" so I cooked them for 10 min. at 400 degrees which did the trick! Good job making up this yummy concoction!