Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This one doesn't use roasted capsicums, but it is delicious. I make it every year and freeze it. I have made it with red, yellow and orange capsicums, they all have a slightly different taste. All good.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 3 1⁄2 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, Chopped Fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, Ground
- 3 large red bell peppers, Seeded and Chopped
- Melt the butter in a (3 Qt.) saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell peppers and onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Mix in the cumin and cayenne. Add the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Scoop out the vegetables.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender or food processor.
- Add a little broth.
- Process until smooth.
- Return the puree to the broth in the pan.
- Mix in the lemon juice. Adjust seasoning.
- Reheat to serving temperature. Serve hot. Cheers Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.
This was really nice. I had exactly 3 peppers I wanted to do something "different" with. I really liked the addition of cumin. I also had some cilantro and a little garlic powder that I pureed along with the peppers/onions all in the same pot. It added another wonderful level of flavor to the finished soup. This would be really nice alongside a grilled sharp cheddar cheese quesadilla! Thanks for sharing!
I used a combination of yellow/red/orange bell peppers. Mine turned out thinner than I like and maybe too lemony. This isn't a keeper for me, but I enjoyed trying something different, thank you!
Phenomenal recipe! I had a combo of chopped red, orange and yellow peppers in my freezer so I thought I'd try this out. I threw in a few stalks of celery too. I just couldn't believe how much flavour it had!
I put it all together and blended it up with my immersion blender. I ate the first bowl and then decided to strain out the little bits of pepper skin and I really preferred it that way. And I don't think I added quite as much lemon juice as was called for - just enough until I thought it tasted right.
I went out and bought peppers again tonight since they were on sale... I'm making a triple batch tomorrow night now that I have all the peppers chopped up! Thanks for a really flavourful and relatively easy recipe! One of my new favourites!