Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I recently bought some Mezzetta Zesty Bell Pepper Relish and was pleasantly surprised how good it was. In my attempt to find a recipe so I could make my own, I stumbled across this tasty one. Not the same, but still so very good with a hint of heat. This won a secret food bloggers secret ingredient contest for a recipe using red bell peppers. I hope you enjoy! Adapted from a food blog, savory and sweet. Thank you Alice!
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped in small pieces (or any other type of bell pepper)
- 1⁄2 onion, diced fine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar (or apple cider)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like less heat, use 1/4 tsp. If you like more heat, add 1/4 tsp.)
- Add everything to a small sauce pan and mix until well incorporated.
- Cook the relish on medium heat for 5 minutes and turn down the heat to medium-low(or low) for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has reduced.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
- The relish needs to be cooked on a low heat, so stir frequently and reduce time if necessary. This recipe will keep quite awhile in the fridge and you may multiply the recipe and can it if desired.
This relish is so good. I had a little bit with my steak and it was so yummy. It's sweet but also spicy. I used 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes. I wanted it spicy and it's perfect. I used 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup splenda and it worked out great. I let it at medium-low heat longer than 20 minutes. But I stirred often. It's very easy to do after the pepper and onion are chopped. Thanks Sharon :) Made for ZWT8 for Diners, Winers and Chives
1 red bell pepper, chopped in small pieces (or any other type of bell pepper) 1/2 onion, diced fine 2/3 cup sugar 1/2 cup white vinegar (or apple cider) 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like less heat, use 1/4 tsp. If you like more heat, add 1/4 tsp.)