Recipe by CountryLady
This recipe comes from Toronto restauranteur Massimo Capra - its one of his most popular dishes!
- 1 lb carnaroli rice
- 4 ounces white onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups red beet juice
- 1 bunch red beet, tops finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ounces white wine
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmigiano
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat the onion in two thirds of the butter and the oil.
- Add the beet tops and mix well.
- Add the rice and toast for a few seconds.
- Sprinkle the wine and let it evaporate.
- Add stock, enough to cover the rice and simmer.
- Halfway through, add all the beet juice and continue simmering.
- Altogether this should take 16 to 18 minutes.
- Do not add too much stock towards the end, keeping in mind that the risotto is to be creamy not soupy.
- When the rice is cooked remove from the heat and add the remaining butter& the cheese and stir to make it fluffy.
- Serve immediately topped with shaved parmigiano.