Prep 25 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A festive assortment of pickled eggs, onions and beets that is perfect for picnics or family gatherings
- 12 whole eggs
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lb red beet (1 can, drained)
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 3 cups water (or use the drained beet liquid and enough water to make 3 cups)
- Hard boil eggs and peel (cover the eggs with cold water, bring to a hard boil, boil for two minutes, cover and remove from heat; let set for 15 minutes before rinsing with cold water and peeling).
- While eggs are still warm, boil together water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Add the beets, onions and eggs to the hot mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.