1/1 Photo of Red Beef Stew
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Something different to do with cubed beef.This Spicy beef and carrots dish is delicious over egg noddles or rice. Most of these Asian ingredients are available in the Asian food aisle in a grocery store or at an Asian food store. Recipe Source: Bon Appetit (March 1987)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g boneless beef cubes (1 1/2 x 2-inch cubes)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 10 slice ginger (1/8 inch slices)
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 red chilies (dried)
- 1 star anise
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 19.71 ml dark soy sauce (or just use regular soy sauce)
- 14.79 ml brown bean sauce
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 34.50 ml chili oil
- 709.77 ml water
- 3 carrots, sliced on the diagonal into 3/4 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 73.94 ml green onions, sliced
- 1Over medium high heat, bring a large pot of water to boil and add beef, boil for 10 seconds. Drain, and rinse under cold water for 1 minute. Set aside.
- 2In a small bowl combine next 5 ingredients (onion - star anise). Set aside.
- 3In another small bowl or cup combine next 5 ingredients (soy sauce - salt). Set aside.
- 4Over high heat heat hot chili oil in a wok or large skillet.
- 5Add onion mixture to wok and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in beef and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- 7Transfer mixture to large sauce pan or pot, adding 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender (1 hour and 40 minutes), stirring occasionally. You may need to add more water.
- 9Stir in carrots. Cover and simmer until tender (20 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- 10Remove chilies and star anise - discard.
- 11Increase heat to high.
- 12In a small cup dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water. Stir into stew, stirring for 1 1/2 minutes.
- 13Transfer to serving dish (over egg noddles or rice, if desired), garnishing with green onions.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1606.5
- Calories from Fat 1456
- Total Fat 161.7 g
- Saturated Fat 67.1 g
- Cholesterol 225.4 mg
- Sodium 1231.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown bean sauce