Recipe by ellie_
Something different to do with cubed beef.This Spicy beef and carrots dish is delicious over egg noddles or rice. Most of these Asian ingredients are available in the Asian food aisle in a grocery store or at an Asian food store. Recipe Source: Bon Appetit (March 1987)
Top Review by Sue Lau
Wonderful! I found it quite enjoyable to find something Thai that wasn't either curried or an appetizer or soup. The flavors in this were wonderfully balanced and was not overly spicy. We did add some chile paste after cooking since I was using it in another dish I cooked. It was great over rice for us, but I am wondering if it would be even more fabulous still if it had some potatoes chunked up in it and served in a bowl for the homestyle comfort flavor of stew, if only in Asian style. Thanks loads!
- 2 lbs boneless beef cubes (1 1/2 x 2-inch cubes)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 10 slices ginger (1/8 inch slices)
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 red chilies (dried)
- 1 star anise
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons dark soy sauce (or just use regular soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 teaspoons chili oil
- 3 cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced on the diagonal into 3/4 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium high heat, bring a large pot of water to boil and add beef, boil for 10 seconds. Drain, and rinse under cold water for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine next 5 ingredients (onion - star anise). Set aside.
- In another small bowl or cup combine next 5 ingredients (soy sauce - salt). Set aside.
- Over high heat heat hot chili oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Add onion mixture to wok and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Stir in beef and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to large sauce pan or pot, adding 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender (1 hour and 40 minutes), stirring occasionally. You may need to add more water.
- Stir in carrots. Cover and simmer until tender (20 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Remove chilies and star anise - discard.
- Increase heat to high.
- In a small cup dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water. Stir into stew, stirring for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish (over egg noddles or rice, if desired), garnishing with green onions.