Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a good, easy way to make red beans that my mom showed me. I do it the lazy way with canned,but feel free to add onion or whatever spices you want if you use dried.
- 1 (27 ounce) can red beans (I like Blue Runner beans or what you prefer)
- 1⁄2-1 whole green bell pepper (if you really like bell pepper,use more)
- 1 lb sausage (of your choice)
- Heat beans or make the way you prefer.
- In the last 15-20 minutes of cooking the beans,clean and chop bell pepper.Add to pot.
- Simmer until bell pepper is soft and had slighty flavored the beans.
I liked this recipe because it is basic and was easy to adapt to my tastes. I used 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans and 1 15 oz can of white great northern beans (I drained and rinsed both cans). I used a yellow pepper from my garden and added a small onion to the mix. I used spicy sausage (would have been really good with kielbasa, too). I sprinkled some creole seasoning into the beans while they simmered. Finally, I served them over steamed basmati rice & garnished with some fresh, chopped green onions (also from my garden). Delicious lunch! I GNOME I will make this again! Thanks for sharing this recipe, kellychris!