This is a good comfort food and is better 2 or 3 days later. Serve over a bed of rice and some good garlic bread.
- 16 ounces dried red kidney beans, bag
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 small garlic cloves, cloves chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Soak beans over night or quick soak according to the package.
- Add beans to 6 cups of water.
- Add all seasonings and sauage.
- Bring to a rapid boil, and reduce heat to a medium simmer.
- Cover, stirring occasionally for 1 to 1 1/2 hour, or until beans or tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- If you have a lot of juice and want it thicker:.
- Add 1 tbl flour to 1 cup of COLD water and whisk together.
- Pour in beans slowly will stirring.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over rice with some good garlic bread.
Excellent Red Beans and Rice. I've never tried this before but the 2 adults that I made this for that have said this was excellent. I let mine simmer longer but other than that didn't change a thing except to serve with cornbread instead of garlic bread. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 07