1/1 Photo of Red Beans & Rice With Tvp
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
magpie diner's Note:
This is from Bob's Red Mill. I like to use TVP now and again, it has a good amount of protein and iron in it, and it's such a versatile product. This involves dried beans so plan ahead or sub tinned. This is also a no-fat recipe (zero oil). I halved the original recipe as it made a whole heck of a lot. Adjust the chili powder based on the type you are using. (Prep time doesn't include over night soaking).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the beans in plenty of water overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- 2Cook the soaked beans in a large pot with the onion, garlic and boiling water.
- 3In a separate pot, cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- 4After beans have cooked 45 minutes, add TVP, chili powder and cumin. Continue cooking until beans are tender, about 20-30 more minutes.
- 5Most of the liquid should have cooked into the beans and TVP. Add salt to taste.
- 6Mix the cooked rice with the cooked beans, add a pinch of cayenne or hot sauce if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans & Rice With Tvp
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.6
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 348.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein