Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
This makes for a nice and simple meal. Prep time doesn't include cooking rice.
- 1 cup rice, raw
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 dashes piri-piri, sauce or 3 dashes your favorite hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional) or 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice as per usual. I always boil up 2 cups of water and then add in the rice. I keep the lid on and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or so and then I turn off the heat and forget about it. Just don't open the lid as the steam makes everything perfect!
- Heat up a large cast iron pan with the olive oil. Add in the onions, garlic, celery, green peppers, and crushed dried chilis. Throw in a dash of salt to help the juices flow and stir until everything gets wilty.
- Next, add in the kidney beans, spices and salsa and stir about until everything is combined and heated through. Taste to adjust spices and add in the rum and the honey if needed. Simmer for a few minutes and then serve in deep bowls on top of the rice.