1/1 Photo of Red Beans & Rice
10 hrs 20 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Posted for ZWT 2006. Recipe comes from Justin Wilson's Louisiana Homegrown Cookin. Red beans and rice is the traditional Monday dish in New Orleans. Cooking time includes soaking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb small dried red beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried mint
- 1/4 cup oil or 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1/2 lb ham bone, and scraps
- 8 -10 cups meat stock
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (to taste- I like lots) or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste- I like lots)
- 1Prepare the beans the night before. Clean and pick through the beans.
- 2Rinse several times in water to clean.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, with enough water to cover by 1 inch, the wine, onions and garlic, parsley, green onions and mint.
- 4Soak overnight covered in the refrigerator.
- 5The next morning, in an 8 quart pot, saute the ham bone and scraps in the bacon drippings.
- 6Pour the bean mixture (including all the water and seasoning) into the pot.
- 7Add enough meat stock to cover the beans by 2 inches.
- 8Reduce heat when it comes to a boil.
- 9Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally so the beans won't stick and burn.
- 10Season to taste with salt and hot sauce.
- 11To thicken, remove one cup beans and place in blender and puree.
- 12Return them to the pot and stir.
- 13Serve over cooked rice with chopped onions and hot sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans & Rice
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 322.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: