Recipe by GrandmaG
This is great served over brown or white rice. Prep time does not include soaking the beans overnight in water. Cooking times are approximate.
Top Review by Braunda
What a life saver this was. I used canned Kidney Beans. I did not drain them. Sweated the onoin is the pan with no oil. Did not add salt. But I followed everything else. Sure was great to me. Thank You so very much. Hugs
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (I omit)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In large stew pot, soften onions in oil for 1 minute.
- Add water.
- Wash beans and pour into stew pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove 1/4 cup of beans and mash, then return to pot and stir.
- Continue to cook until gravy becomes thickened.
- About 10 to 20 minutes.
- Cut sausage into pieces about 1 inch long and add to the beans.
- Add salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin powder.
- Continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.