Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this with what I had lying around and it was AWESOME! You could use any kind of bean or meat or seasoning combination, this was just what I happened to have. What about black beans, steak strips, and taco seasoning? Also, adding some other veggies would probably jazz it up quite a bit.
- 467.76 g can red kidney beans
- 4.92 ml chicken bouillon (Better than Bouillon brand)
- 453.59 g ground sausage
- 19.71 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml white rice, uncooked
- 591.47 ml water
- 118.29 ml water
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 14.78 ml cajun seasoning
- 9.85 ml salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- Start the rice cooking: 1) Boil the water 2) Add 1 teaspoon chili powder and two teaspoons tomato paste and mix thoroughly 3) Add rice 4) Reduce heat to medium-low 5) Cover. The rice should be done in about 30 minutes.
- In a fry pan, add oil and set heat to medium-high. Add garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add meat and cajun seasoning and salt and cook until the meat is mostly done.
- Add beans after rinsing them thoroughly.
- Mix 2 teaspoons tomato paste, 1 teaspoon bouillon, 1/2 cup water, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch together, then add to the meat mixture.
- Mix everything together very well in the fry pan and reduce heat to low, cover, and wait until the rice is done.
- Once the rice is finished, mix it together with the meat mixture and serve.
My Husband and I really enjoyed this recipe. It was a bit spicy for our taste. So next time I will reduce the cajun seasoning to 1 1/2 teaspoons and omit the salt. We will be making this again that's for sure. Thank you for the recipe.
Yum, this was great! I used smoked sausage that was on hand, omitted the salt (personal preference), and took the suggestion from the intro to add some veggies - celery, green bell pepper, and onion. It was flavorful and delicious, and very easy to make. The long grain white rice I used only needed 15 minutes to cook, so this came together quickly. Thanks for sharing! PAC Fall '12
This was really tasty,,,I was'nt sure whether to use sausagemeat or prepared sausages, but as I had some smoked sausage, I went with that. I used Cajun Seasoning for the cajun seasoning and reduced the chili just a touch for (personal taste) I also added an onion, just because I love the taste. I will make this again but next time I will try sausagemeat. Spring PAC 2011