Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish is fantastic! I use The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix for this!
Make and share this Red Beans and Rice With Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb cooked kielbasa (sliced about 1/2-inch thick, or use any kind of dried sausage)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes ((optional or to taste, add in for even more heat!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 -4 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or to taste, I use The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix)
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add in sausage, onion, garlic and bell pepper with dryed red pepper flakes (if using) brown for 12-15 minutes.
- Mix in the kidney beans with their juices, stewed tomatoes and Creole seasoning.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until the flavors are all blended and the mixture is very thick (about 40-45 minutes) seasoning with salt and pepper and stirring occasionally.
- You can either add the cooked rice into the bean mixture or spoon the bean mixture on top of the cooked rice in bowls the choice is up to you.
Thick, rich and a nice little kick. These were were a hit served with fresh cornbread, green onions and Sweet and Tangy Brussels Sprouts. I used a spicy sausage and red bell pepper. Something I would make again.
Quick meal. I loved how all the ingredients were pantry staples. The favors were great. No left overs. I will make this again on a busy night
This was outstanding. I'll definitely add this to our dinner rotation as it was a big hit with my husband and oldest son. I did make some modifications to cut the calories and fat. I used 1lb of ground turkey sausage and reduced the oil to 1tbs. I only had a small can of diced tomatoes, but it worked out beautifully anyway. I omitted the dried red pepper flakes as we have lots of small children. When I put my version through a recipe analyzer a one cup serving without rice clocked in at 140 calories.