Top Review by PaulaG
Thick, rich and a nice little kick. These were were a hit served with fresh cornbread, green onions and recipe #275672. I used a spicy sausage and red bell pepper. Something I would make again.
- 3 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb cooked kielbasa (sliced about 1/2-inch thick, or use any kind of dried sausage)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes ((optional or to taste, add in for even more heat!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 -4 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or to taste, I use The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix)
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add in sausage, onion, garlic and bell pepper with dryed red pepper flakes (if using) brown for 12-15 minutes.
- Mix in the kidney beans with their juices, stewed tomatoes and Creole seasoning.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until the flavors are all blended and the mixture is very thick (about 40-45 minutes) seasoning with salt and pepper and stirring occasionally.
- You can either add the cooked rice into the bean mixture or spoon the bean mixture on top of the cooked rice in bowls the choice is up to you.