cuban style red beans made in a crock pot. the longer you cook it the better. I dont add salt as the ham and chorizo add plenty,but if you like alot of salt,,, wait til the end of cooking and taste to see if it needs more.
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 lb ham steak, diced
- 1 ham hock (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 green olives, minced
- 1 (20 ounce) packet Sazon Goya seasoning
- parsley, to taste
- cayenne, pepper to taste
- remove casing from chorizo and cook in frying pan, breaking it up.drain, and add to crock pot along with everything else. cook on low for at least 6 hours( the longer the better).add spices to taste.
- before serving if used a ham hock take out and pull meat off bone and add back to pot, discarding the bone.
- serve over rice or makes great burritos.
This was a very tasty dish . I used Chipolte chili powder and a Ancho chili powder since there is no such thing as the Sazon Goya seasoning where I live LOL I found there was a bit to much me but that is just me ,my DH loved all the meat . As yummy as this is I don't think I will make it again