3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat, lard or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped andouille sausages (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (with leaves)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the fat over med-high heat.
- 2Add the sausage and cook until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- 3Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
- 4Cook, stirring, until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- 5Stir in the cumin and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Add the beans, salt, hot sauce, bay leaves, and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches.
- 7Bring the mixture to a boil.
- 8Immediately decrease heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- 9Uncover and simmer until the beans are tender and the sauce has thickened, 30-45 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- 10Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- 11Serve over rice, topped with scallions.
- 12Garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice With Andouille Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.6
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 466.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: