A veggie, and slightly spicy version of red beans and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (including liquid)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (including liquid)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (quick cooking version is fine)
- 1(RECIPEZAAR DOESN'T RECOGNISE LIGHT RED BEANS!).
- 2Cook the brown rice. Add the 1/2 can of light red beans (including liquid) to the cooked rice and set to one side.
- 3Melt the butter and add all the remaining ingredients (excluding the rice with 1/2 can of beans).
- 4Simmer the bean mixture for 45 minutes.
- 5Stir every 10 mins or so and mash the light red beans with the back of a wooden spoon (you don't have to mash them all, just be sure to give those beans a good mashing!).
- 6After 45 mins remove from the heat and add the cooled cooked rice and the additional 1/2 can of beans mixture.
- 7Stir it all together until the rice is warmed through again and serve.
- 8Reheats really well if you would like to make this ahead of time.
- 9Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.6
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1337.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 127.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 34.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: