Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A veggie, and slightly spicy version of red beans and rice.
Make and share this Red Beans and Rice (Vegetarian) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (including liquid)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (including liquid)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (quick cooking version is fine)
- (RECIPEZAAR DOESN'T RECOGNISE LIGHT RED BEANS!).
- Cook the brown rice. Add the 1/2 can of light red beans (including liquid) to the cooked rice and set to one side.
- Melt the butter and add all the remaining ingredients (excluding the rice with 1/2 can of beans).
- Simmer the bean mixture for 45 minutes.
- Stir every 10 mins or so and mash the light red beans with the back of a wooden spoon (you don't have to mash them all, just be sure to give those beans a good mashing!).
- After 45 mins remove from the heat and add the cooled cooked rice and the additional 1/2 can of beans mixture.
- Stir it all together until the rice is warmed through again and serve.
- Reheats really well if you would like to make this ahead of time.
- Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side.
This cooked way quicker than 45 mins so watch it closely. Very easy and good. I don't always have money for the sausage so this is super budget friendly! I made mine without the red pepper flakes and only 2 t. of the black pepper and it was still too spicy for my little kids, so adjust the spice if you have little ones.