Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When someone says "red beans and rice" most everyone runs.... that's good, more for us! I found this recipe years ago, tweaked and made it tasty tasty tasty, the leftovers are even better.
- 6 slices bacon, pre-cut it into little pieces (freeze it for a few minutes for easier cutting)
- 1⁄2 green pepper (chopped or sliced thin)
- 1 medium onion (chopped or sliced thin)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or if I run out-garlic powder equalling 3 cloves garlic)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (I like sea or kosher)
- 1 Polish sausage, sliced (you can put any kind you like or up to a pound- we like the skinless kielbasa)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a large, heavy saucepan, saute bacon until lightly browned.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic, saute until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except vinegar, sugar and rice. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar for last few minutes then serve over rice.
- *note: this recipe I've found hinges on the bacon You need good (perhaps cheap) bacony bacon, not extra lean, you want that tasty bacon- I usually up the bacon amount to half a package or more :).
- *variations: omit sausage for side dish-also.after all steps, mix with rice and throw in crockpot on warm and rice will soak up juice;.instead of sausage use boneless chicken.