Recipe by quick meal
This is from TOH. It gets its spark from cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. You can use containers or decorated holiday bags with a small bow to give as gifts. Prep time does not include cooking time.
Top Review by PaulaG
I loved this idea and think it will make a wonderful Christmas gift accompanied with Recipe #167160. The mix fits perfectly in a 2 quart jar for gift giving. Once I have actually cooked the beans and rice, I'll be back to update my review. Made for *PAC Fall 2009*
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 4 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs smoked ham hocks
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 10 ingredients and place in ziploc containers. Place beans and rice into separate containers.
- TO PREPARE: Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans. Return them to the pan. Add seasoning mix, 2 12 cups water and ham hocks. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks. cut meat into bite sized pieces and return to pan. Add sausage. cover and simmer 30-40 minutes until beans are tender and sausage is heated through. Remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, salt and remaining water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat , cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls, top with bean mixture. Garnish with parsley if desired.