1/2 Photos of Red Beans and Rice Mix
quick meal's Note:
This is from TOH. It gets its spark from cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. You can use containers or decorated holiday bags with a small bow to give as gifts. Prep time does not include cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 4 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2-2 lbs smoked ham hocks
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 1Combine first 10 ingredients and place in ziploc containers. Place beans and rice into separate containers.
- 2TO PREPARE: Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- 3Drain beans. Return them to the pan. Add seasoning mix, 2 12 cups water and ham hocks. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove ham hocks. cut meat into bite sized pieces and return to pan. Add sausage. cover and simmer 30-40 minutes until beans are tender and sausage is heated through. Remove bay leaf.
- 5Meanwhile, combine rice, salt and remaining water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat , cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- 6Spoon into bowls, top with bean mixture. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice Mix
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1016.8
- Calories from Fat 494
- Total Fat 54.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 233.7 mg
- Sodium 2122.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 80.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: