Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I haven't tried this yet. I found it while searching for gifts mixes for in a jar. Sounds delish! Cook time does not include overnight soaking.
- 1 tablespoon dried green pepper flakes (sweet)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried red beans
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine seasoning ingredients.
- Place in a small, sealable plastic bag or.
- Fill a pint canning jar with red beans.
- Fill a sealable plastic bag with rice and.
- Include this recipe for Red Beans and Rice:.
- Wash beans & place in a Dutch oven; cover with water and soak overnight.
- The following day rinse, re-cover with water and add one ham bone and seasoning mixture.
- Cook partially covered, over medium-low heat 3 to 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, combine rice and 2 cups water in a saucepan and bring.
- to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover pan and cook 30 minutes without lifting lid.
- About 20 minutes before serving add 1 pound spicy smoked sausage, sliced, 1 teaspoons salt and pepper to beans.
- Serve over rice.