Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is my version of Popeye's Red Beans and Rice. It is the final result after many disastrous attempts, thank goodness for a husband with a cast iron stomach.
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced,i use hillshire hot links
- 4 (16 ounce) cans pink beans, drained and rinsed i use goya beans
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄8 cup liquid smoke
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- Mix all ingredients well in a crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with steamed rice with hot sauce on the side.
No stars, just a comment. I tried this with 1/8 cup liquid smoke, and it was overkill to the point of inedibility. I will make this again with 1/8 tsp. of the smoky liquid. I think it should be more like 1/8 tsp. or perhaps 1/8 Tsp. Ouch, on the liquid smoke! That is some hefty stuff!
Very quick and easy recipe! I threw all the ingredients in my crock pot,using a red onion (no yellow ones on hand). My husband had 2 helpings...we both liked this meal and will add to our 'favorites'. Thanks for sharing.
The two most important items in this great recipe is to use Camellia Brand dry red beans soaked over night, cooked in a crock pot and for the smoked flavor, SMOKED PAPRICA instead of Liquid Smoke. Also add bay leaf and for the touch of heat a small amount of Crystal Hot Sauce which is more flavorful and less peppery than Tobasco Sauce. Thats my humble cajun opinion