I call this Red Beans and Rice I Dare you because I dare anyone to tell the difference between this recipe and Popeyes famous red beans and rice. And what's really surprising is how easy it is to make using only a minimal amount of ingredients....my guess is, you'll love it. When I first tried to duplicate Popeyes red beans and rice it took several tries, because I was making it more complicated than I needed, one thing, it does take awhile to cook, but oh so worth it...the final result is, you'll be making it often.
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans (Drained)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 lb smoked summer sausage, skin removed (preferrebly a butcher shop smoked summer sausage)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup long grained white rice (makes 3-1/2 cups prepared)
- Cut summer sausage into 2" inch cubes, combine sausage, 2 cans Pinto beans, beef broth, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in a 2 qrt. sauce pan. Bring to boil.
- Cover and continue boiling on meduim heat stirring occasionally until beans become soft, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from heat. Remove sausage chunks -- all the flavor will be boiled out of the sausage, so I use them for another recipe to fallow later.
- Return pan to stove, add third can of Pinto beans, cover and let simmer on low for about 3 hours.
- After 1-1/2 hrs, using a good masher, mash beans to a desired consistency, but don't mash all of them. Once you've reached a preferred consistency and juices are absorbed, just stir occasionally for the next 1-1/2 hours. to keep from scorching.
- Taste your creation, if you should feel there isn't enough smoke flavor you can always add a few drops of liquid smoke but not too much, I've always found liquid smoke tastes fake and can be overwhelming.
- The trick to good red beans and rice is to allow a long slow simmering, that's why the three hours, I've actually let is simmer for as much as 5 hours. You can expirement with it as you go. Add to prepared rice and enjoy.