Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the kitchen of Tona Thornburg Court, Bridgeton MO.
- 1⁄2 lb dry red beans
- 3 cups water
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart canned peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked white rice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- Wash beans. Soak beans in water overnight. Brown sausage in Dutch oven. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat. Add onions and garlic to pan and cook until tender. Add beans and soaking liquid, salt, marjoram and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are almost tender. Drain and chop tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add tomatoes, reserved liquid and rice to beans. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add celery and green peppers; cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf. Serve with cornbread.