3 hrs 45 mins
Cook's Country; no pre-soaking of beans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, chopped medium
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
- 7 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 lb andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch half-moons (or kielbasa)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- hot sauce
- 1Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until lightly browned and the fat has rendered, about 7 minutes.
- 2Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4Add 1 teaspoon pepper, oregano, thyme, cayenne, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, beans, broth, and water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Decrease heat to maintain a vigorous simmer (the mixture will be steaming and several bubbles should be breaking the surface) and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are soft and the liquid thickens, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- 6Stir in the sausage and cook until the liquid is thick and creamy, about 30 minutes.
- 7Remove and discard the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Serve over hot cooked rice with hot sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (821 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.5
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 610.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 33.8 g