Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Cook's Country; no pre-soaking of beans
Make and share this Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped medium
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
- 7 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch half-moons (or kielbasa)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- hot sauce
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until lightly browned and the fat has rendered, about 7 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add 1 teaspoon pepper, oregano, thyme, cayenne, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, beans, broth, and water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to maintain a vigorous simmer (the mixture will be steaming and several bubbles should be breaking the surface) and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are soft and the liquid thickens, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the sausage and cook until the liquid is thick and creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with hot sauce, if desired.