Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Authentic bean recipe
Make and share this Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups red beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ham hock
- 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- hot pepper sauce
- Soak beans in cold water over night. Drain and rinse beans.
- Place beans in a crock pot. Cover beans with cold water.
- Add the ham hock. Cook covered on low at least 5 hours.
- Remove the ham hock to a cutting board. Cut off any meat, add to pot.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons oil over med.heat.
- Add the sausage and cook stirring 5 minute.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, green onions and garlic . Cook 5 minute.
- Add the sausage mixture to the beans.
- Add salt, black pepper,and thyme. Stir into beans.
- Place bay leaves on top.
- Cook on high 45-60 minute or until beans are very tender.
- Remove 1/4 Cup of the beans. Mash and return to pot.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Serve over cooked rice with hot sauce on the side.