- 1 lb red beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb smoked ham hocks or 1 lb smoked pork shanks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 a stick)
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick through beans to remove any rocks. Wash beans and cover with water in a large pot. Add onion, bell pepper, ham hocks, and garlic.
- Cook on low heat until done (about 2 to 3 hours depending upon how soupy you like your beans).
- Remove hocks; allow to cool. Remove meat from hocks and return meat to bean mixture. Add salt, pepper, liquid smoke and butter; heat through. Serve over rice.