Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I threw this together one night and my husband raved and raved about it. I hope it gets raves for you, too. :)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans, undrained (red or kidney)
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley (or 1/3 cup fresh)
- For the rice: In a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid, combine water and rice. Bring to a boil with the lid off. Reduce to low heat, cover and set timer for 20 minutes. Leave covered. Do not remove lid until finished.
- For the red bean mixture: Sauté onions, celery and garlic in oil until softened on medium high heat. Add chopped sausage and cook 5 minutes. Stir in undrained beans, crushed bay leaf and salt. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and cook 5 minutes more. Pour over rice.
Loved it, and I am looking forward to making it again. I used sweet Italian sausage because that's what I had on hand. I also did not have any celery but used celery seed (about 1/2 teaspoon) when I was sauteing the onion and garlic. Next time I will certainly use celery for the crunch and also use andouille sausage. Thanks for posting!