Recipe by suncow
very quick and easy recipe..also very good taste just like Popeyes. received from a friend who I think got the recipe from CopyKat.com not sure but I want to credit them just in case. Recipe calls for lard but I use shortening in its place
- 3 (15 1/2-16 ounce) cans red beans
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa or 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup lard or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 -5 cups long grain rice, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 2 cans of beans in a 2 quart pan add smoked sausage and water. Simmer on medium 20 minute Place meat , beans and liquikd iin a food processor. To the mixture add the onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper, salt and lard. Process for only 4 seconds. Beans should be chopped and liquid thick. Now add the 3rd can of beans that have been drained of their liquid. Process just for a second or two you want these beans to remain almost whole.
- Pour bean misture back into the pan and cook slowly on low heat ustirring often until ready to serve.
- Serve over Rice.