Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
My husband's favorite recipe for red beans and rice. He makes this for football Sundays or when at his hunting club. From Southern Living. This one is pretty stout for my tastes but the guys sure love it.
- 2 lbs dried red kidney beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lb smoked beef sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 (11 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- hot cooked rice
- Sort and wash beans; add beans and next 18 ingredients to a large soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 3 hours or until thickened and beans are tender.
- Add sausages and tomatoes; cook 30 minutes.
- Remove and throw away salt pork and bay leaves.
- Stir in file; serve over rice.
Oh my! What a great recipe for red beans. This is now my favorite also. I added a Tsp of cumin plus good helping of cajun seasoning to the mix and it came out perfect. Thank you for adding this recipe.
Great taste! Has a great kick with just enough heat... I made half of the original recipe and the only change I did was to soak the beans overnite so may cooking time was only about 1 1/2 hrs. Thanks