Recipe by islandgirl77551
A cajun staple. Simple but, so good! Serve it with a slice of Nawlins crusty french bread.
Top Review by Lady Amazon
I am from New Orleans, I live about 6 minutes away from the French Quarter on the Westbank. This is a good recipe. I follow the recipe on the back of the dried kidney beans ( use camille brand) and I do it in a slow cooker and towards the end i take out about a cup of beans and mash them and add back to pot and it thickens them.Some times I add hot dog wennies to them also which is how my mom made them for us kids in place of sausage.(budget friendly version)LOL!
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion
- 1 lb andouille sausage (or smoked sausage)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (more if you like)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and clean beans good.
- Put into a large soup pot.
- Add water.
- Slice onion and sausage into beans.
- Add cajun seasoning and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil and let boil 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours, until beans are tender.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.